Saturday 28 July 2012

Vanilla porridge with honeyed apples

I would have to say porridge was not ever on the top of my breakfast lists. Growing up "Papa Bear" Dad would often have it but mostly during the winter months. I remember growing up in Perth and waking up on weekends and being greeted in the kitchen by Dad standing over his pot of porridge bubbling away and sprinkling brown sugar or honey on top and trying as hard as he could to get B and I to taste it. These days the variety of porridge is unbelievable and even the pot cooking days are over with so many "quick" oats available. My three little Vegemites were a little dumbfounded at the fact I was cooking this particular porridge in the pot and not in the microwave!!

When I first met Mr M (another bear who likes his porridge), he would often cook his on the stove top also. Actually I think his bachelor pad never had a microwave but it brought back memories of my parents eating it. As I have mentioned before on our little Melbourne visit some years ago, porridge was a breakfast 'must-have' and Mr M would devour his huge bowl each morning adding fruit some mornings or just opting for some maple syrup.

I am now giving myself the "Mama Bear" title as I don't mind a nice warm bowl of porridge every now and then. You could almost add any fruit your heart desires but this recipe was found in one of my old favourites Donna Hay and the apples were delicious. Mind you I added some brown sugar and extra maple syrup! Now if only I could get the last two of my baby bears to at least try this tasty breakfast I will be one happy Mama Bear!!




You will need:      Serves 4
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
2 cups (500ml) milk
1 cup (250ml) water
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
milk, extra, brown sugar and maple syrup, to serve
for the honeyed apples:
2 red apples, sliced
2 tablespoons honey

To make honeyed apples, heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the apple for 1 minute each side.




Add honey and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until golden and caramelised.


Place the oats, milk, water and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over low heat.



 Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until thickened.


Spoon into serving bowls, top with extra milk, sugar, maple syrup and honeyed apples to serve.


Enjoy! M x

No comments:

Post a Comment