Saturday 14 July 2012

Orange Cheesecake

If you ask Betty I'm sure she would agree with me about our lack of participation in the cheesecake department. It's definitely not from not liking them as our Mum is the cheesecake queen. Growing up she would often make delicious combinations of different fruits and other flavours. From memory Mum was more skilled with the refrigerated version and at most gatherings we would attend, there would sit in all it's glory, Mum's peach or pineapple cheesecake (well it only sat for a few minutes if you were lucky enough to get your hands on a piece). I remember Dad having one of his great ideas (this is coming from a Father that says "I know a shortcut" and would take just as long or longer - must be a Dad thing right?) about making a cheesecake for the family. Actually, from memory I think a young B may have been his sous chef that day! With Mum working at the time and Dad wanting to surprise us with his cooking abilities (thanks to Mum of course) he set about making a blueberry cheesecake (only ringing Mum at work for advice a mere 10 times).

His hard work was all in vain once the gelatine was added. I remember tasting his masterpiece and trying to smile politely as I chewed through big chunks of rubbery jelly pieces of plain gelatine that had set and not blended into the cream cheese mix. I think the gelatine process is where all fridge-set cheesecakes reach their fork in the road - either go in the bin or in the fridge!

I have made a few baked cheesecakes and feel more confidant with them but after I made this fridge-set cheesecake I was impressed by my efforts if I do say so myself. As listed in the recipe the cream cheese mix only contains orange rind but to give it a little more flavour I added orange segment pieces throughout the mix and also added some extra rind in the biscuit base for that extra citrus kick. I think using the "light" (low fat) cream cheese made it light and fluffy so it melted in your mouth. You could use passion fruit, limes, lemons, pineapple, peaches, blueberries.......my mouth is now watering! I think a lime one maybe my next time, how about you? What's your favourite or fail-safe cheesecake flavour combo?


You will need:
250g plain sweet biscuits
125g unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon gelatine
finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
500g light cream cheese
1/2 cup caster sugar
150g white chocolate , melted and cooled
300ml thickened cream, softly whipped
4 oranges, peeled, segmented
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste


Line base of a 22cm springform tin with baking paper.




 Put biscuits in a food processor  and process until crumbs form.



 Add butter and process until combined. Press biscuit mixture into base and  up sides of prepared tin. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.






Pour boiling water into a heatproof jug, sprinkle over gelatine and stir with a fork until dissolved. Microwave on high for a further 30 and stir until completely dissolved. Let cool.

Put orange rind and juice, cream cheese and sugar in food processor. Process until smooth.




 Add chocolate . Process until combined.



 Transfer to a bowl and fold in cream and gelatine mixture. Pour into biscuit base and return to fridge for 3-4 hours, or overnight if time permits, until set.







Put orange in a medium bowl. Add vanilla and toss to combine.






 Serve wedges of cheesecake with vanilla orange.





Yum! x



No comments:

Post a Comment