Thursday 29 March 2012

Raspberry-layered butterfly cake


I have mentioned before how B & I love making special birthday cakes for family and we have shared with you a couple of our creations so far along the way. I made this beautiful cake for my gorgeous girls to share on their birthday. I usually try to make them a cake each but seeing as Miss 4 turning 5 didn't seem to object to sharing this event with her big sister this year (don't think I can get away with it for much longer!), I decided to opt for the one special cake. I didn't exactly time their Birthdays very well did I? Having them one day apart from each other with nothing that exciting going on 9 mths before hand that I can think of!

I wanted the 'WOW!' factor from their little faces and oh how I loved looking through all the kids cake books to find something that my girls would love. I sometimes think how lucky I am to have some little people to make my creations for or else I'd end up making them for my parents and at their 'mature' age, getting the Woman's Weekly swimming pool cake might look a little odd!!

You might think this cake looks really hard but trust me not only did it look the part it tasted great and was actually very easy, all you need to do is just follow the instructions closely.

Now I know what B is going to say "Not another kids cake book", but she will thank me once her little bub is born and she will be begging me to borrow my collection trust me! I have a confession to make, yes I found this cake in yet another book I bought (I just HAD to have it). It's another Women's Weekly called "More Cakes For Kids".


Equipment
two deep 17cm round cake pans
20cm round prepared cake board or plate
oven tray
small piping bag ( I just used a glad sandwich bag that I just cut the tip off )

White Chocolate Cake
185g  white eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
90g unsalted butter, chopped coarsely
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 Quantities fluffy mock cream frosting (which I will show you further down the page)
1/4 cup raspberry jam, warmed, strained, cooled
pink food colouring

Decorations
125g white chocolate melts, melted

1.Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Grease pans, line with baking paper.
2.Stir chocolate, butter and buttermilk in a medium saucepan over low heat until smooth, cool 10 minutes.
3 Whisk sugar, eggs and extract into chocolate mixture. Whisk in sifted dry ingredients until mixture is smooth and glossy.
4. Divide mixture between pans, bake about 1 hour. Stand cakes in pans for 5 minutes, turn top-side up. onto wire racks to cool.

For the butterflies
Using the letter B shape ( like half a butterfly wing shape) trace them onto some baking paper. I used 3 different sizes, a large, medium and small for my butterflies.
Tint the melted chocolate buds pink , spoon into a piping bag (this is where I used a glad sandwich bag and just cut the corner tip ever so slightly).


Pipe chocolate around the inside butterfly shapes on the tray, stand at room temperature until set.

Fluffy mock cream frosting (you will need two quantities of this)
2 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup water
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon gelatine
2 tablespoons water, extra
250g unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine milk, the water and sugar in small saucepan, stir syrup over low heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved.

Sprinkle gelatine over the extra water in a cup, add to pan, stir syrup until gelatine is dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Beat butter and extract in a small bowl with electric mixer until it is as white as possible. While motor is operating, gradually pour in cold syrup, in a thin steady stream, beat until light and fluffy. Mixture will thicken more on standing.
Remove half the fluffy mock cream frosting to a medium bowl, stir in jam, tint pink.
Split cold cakes in half, sandwich cakes with raspberry pink frosting on cake board. Spread cake all over with remaining plain frosting. Position butterflies on cake and decorate with a ribbon.




So beautiful and watching my girls faces was all worth the effort!

Enjoy! M x

3 comments:

  1. wow what a beautiful cake!! thanks for the recipe : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I made another cake from this book with the garden trellis out of white chocolate and followed exact instructions, the trellis collapsed upon assembling on cake so I am too scared to try it again and thought maybe I should use royal icing instead....WDYT? I wondered if it was because it was December (and is again) and room temperature is very warm and humid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How disappointing for you! You could try royal icing but you could also try those candy melts they use for cake pops as this chocolate seems to have a melt resistance substance in it from previous experience. Good luck.

      Delete