Saturday 9 July 2011

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

There's another cold snap on the way so what could be better right now than another soup recipe for the soup lovers of the world. You've been asking me for more soups and I wont let you down with this one. It is no secret that I am not a lover of hot liquid meals, however, I thought to myself if Miss 9 can try something new then so can I. Surprised myself and Mr M and actually have to admit that I was quite impressed with this taste. I must ask the "Mother" if she has any memories of me ever liking soups at an early age?

If you are looking for a quick and filling soup with flavour, I'd definitely give this one a go.......especially after Mr M downed his third bowl and then ate a plate of chicken wings. After all that, all I could get from him were a few mumbled words of satisfaction!!

I found this one in a Donna Hay book and it is so easy and quick.
You will need:
25g butter
1 brown onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 heads (1.5kg) cauliflower, chopped
500g sebago (starchy) potato, peeled and chopped
3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
2 cups (500ml) milk
1/2 cup (125ml) single pouring cream
sea salt and cracked white pepper
parmesan cauliflower crumbs:
1 cup (100g) chopped cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup (20g) finely grated Parmesan

Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and cook for 5-8 minutes or until onion has softened.

Add the cauliflower, potato, stock and milk, increase heat to medium and cook for 25-30 minutes or until cauliflower and potato is tender.

Remove from the heat and using a hand-held blender, blend until smooth. Stir through the cream, salt and pepper.

While the soup is cooking, make the Parmesan cauliflower crumbs. Place the cauliflower, oil and Parmesan in a bowl and toss to combine.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the cauliflower, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden and crisp. Top soup with cauliflower crumbs to serve. Serves 4

Enjoy M x

No comments:

Post a Comment