Thursday 16 June 2011

Viennese Brownies

So most of you out there like a good brownie right? B and I are huge fans of this fudgey morsel. I'd probably even go that little bit further and say B is an expert on Brownies (don't tell her I told you all though!!) B made these really yummy ones not long ago, actually I think they were "Blondies" with sour cherries and pecans (the opposite of Brownies) and I may have to convince her to post her Blondie version on here soon (about time we had a post from B!!).

Well back to the Brownies....YUM! So many different versions out there and I wouldn't mind trying them all well maybe just a few (not good for my thighs). I came across these in an amazing chocoholics book called "Epicure Chocolate", not mentioning any names but I know someone out there also has a huge crush on this book!! There are a few different brownies in this book to choose from and I've made those before but these caught my eye, I think it was almonds on top. It gives it a really different textural contrast with the soft gooey cake brownie on the bottom with the crunch of the almonds on top.

This recipe is easy to make, you may need to dirty an extra bowl but worth the effort. I told my little ones they had to wait until it had cooled completely....fat chance!! I couldn't stand the whining so we had to cut them hot. Hot or cold still tasted amazing. I think the only thing you may need to be careful with is the amount of almond essence you put in, just watch you don't accidentally tip any extra in as it has a very strong almond taste (I've made that mistake once before!).



You will need:
60g unsweetened chocolate (I used a 70% one found in your local supermarket)
1/2 cup butter (about 125g)
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
slivered almonds

Filling:
250g Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon almond essence

Preheat oven to 180 degrees
To make the filling, combine softened cream cheese, sugar, egg and almond essence (go easy on the essence!).
For the batter, melt chocolate and butter together, cool.  Beat eggs, add sugar and chocolate mixture. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, add to chocolate mixture and mix well.

Pour half of the chocolate batter into a greased 20cm square pan, spread with cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining batter.


Sprinkle with almonds. Bake for about 45 minutes. Cool in tin. (If you can wait that long!)

Enjoy! M x

2 comments:

  1. I love these brownies. I have been making them since I was a child and they are my favorite !! I found if you want a quickie version, just use the Ghiradelli Brownie mix with the cream cheese in the center and almonds on top. However, I prefer the smell and satisfaction of melting the chocolate and making from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip, thanks Anon! I wonder if we can get the Ghiradelli mix here? I do love Ghiradelli!!! B x

    ReplyDelete