Wednesday 25 May 2011

Roast Chicken with Coriander Seeds, Thyme and Cherry Tomatoes

LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!! The flavours are amazing and even Mr M who doesn't say much when sampling my cooking as he just thinks everything tastes amazing (except many years ago and he won't let me live it down, I made something that he will never eat again!!). Well the groans and moans from Mr M were worth my efforts. Also next time I may have to buy two chooks as one was just not enough for this family of five!! They kept asking if I had any more.

I really thought it would have been too spicy for my 3 darlings and I did keep the 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried chilli flakes to only half of that just in case but it didn't seem to bother those little taste buds in the making!

We have done a few different versions of roasting the good old chook (sorry Bonnie, Coco and Gemmi who live in our back yard and supply us with their magical eggs each day!) but I'd have to say this one is a winner and will be repeated again and again I'm sure.

This recipe was found in one of my many books and it has so many I'm just busting to try. It's from "Karen Martini" - Feasting page 151, so if you're looking for a quick and easy Sunday Roast idea for a chook give this one ago.....we did some roast vegetables to go with it.

You will need:
3 tablespoons coriander seed ( I searched high and low for these and ended up using the ground coriander, and halving it)
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
8 cloves garlic, unpeeled (probably a good idea not to breathe too closely on your loved one!!)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
2 tablespoons flaked river salt
1.8 kg free-range organic chicken cut into 8 pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 sprigs thyme
12 cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar ( I will tell you the truth....I didn't have any so I didn't use it)



Karen Martini suggests by cutting the chicken into 8 pieces will help with the fragrant kick that you get and it will caramelise beautifully and don't forget to put in a pan big enough for this to happen.

Roughly crush the coriander seeds and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle, then add the garlic and roughly crush. Add the chilli flakes and salt and pound to a rough paste.



Place the chicken pieces in a large plastic bag, add the spice mix and olive oil and massage into the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (overnight if possible) to allow the flavours to infuse.



Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees (fan-forced).
Remove the chicken from the bag and place in a medium heavy baking dish. Scatter over the thyme sprigs and tomatoes and roast for 55 minutes or until the chicken is golden and cooked.


Remove the dish from the oven, drizzle over the vinegar and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve  the chicken with the pan juices spooned over.

Enjoy! M x

1 comment:

  1. I really like roast chicken – natural and the opportunity – and I am always looking for new ways have fun with it. Thanks for sharing roast chicken with Coriander Seeds.

    ReplyDelete