Saturday 16 April 2011

Weekender Biscuits

I think everyone has a favourite biscuit they like to make, it could be a double chocolate chip or maybe a simple plain butter biscuit. One that I remember as a kid is the "cornflake cookie" as my kids like to call them, but if you were to look them up in a recipe book they could be called the "Weekender Biscuit". You may even find a different version on the side of your cornflake box! I just know these are great for school lunch boxes or for when they walk in from school and  they want to eat everything in sight.

I have also made them as a pressie for my beautiful family, sorry B....not sure if I've actually made them for you, but I'm sure Mr B recieved some and I know our Dad LOVES them. These biscuits are so easy I don't even need to look at the recipe anymore and a few of my friends out there which will remain nameless but you know who you are - they don't like sultanas in food!! Strange I know, but you can replace the sultanas for chocolate chips if you are one of those who don't like sultanas.

This recipe can be found in "The big book of Beautiful Biscuits" - a bible in our house!! and yes it's an Australian Women's Weekly book - page 47

125g (4oz) butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup sultanas
1 cup self-raising flour
2 cups lightly crushed cornflakes

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, beat well.


Fold in sifted flour and sultanas, mix well.


Drop teaspoons of mixture into cornflakes, roll lightly.


Place on lined baking trays. Allow room for spreading. Bake in moderate oven 20 minutes or until golden.


We make double in this house as they don't seem to last one day if I don't. So remember if you don't like sultanas just replace them with 2/3 cup of chocolate chips, I would use dark chocolate.


Enjoy M x

4 comments:

  1. YUM! I first made these in Home Ec and had lost the recipe :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such fond childhood memories of these biscuits. I'm going to make some for my boyfriend to convert him to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. Kids had requested & couldn't find anywhere. You've saved the day. time to go bake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had these yummy biscuits today for the first time at the great Stratford upon Avon@ Turtle Café. Took this biscuit to eat on the road, wow loved the not too sweet, crunchy yet moist treat. TIP. These were shaped in an oblong log shape ,Looked classy, good enough too eat.

    ReplyDelete