Thursday 21 April 2011

A Quick Mid-Week Dinner at Maudes place

So I've mentioned before about preparing quick meals and B and I have shown you a couple that we love from our Jamie Oliver collection. Well today I'm going to share with you one of my mid-week creations that I would call very quick and some of it may even come from a jar!! Some nights you just can't be bothered with all the fuss and want something everyone is going to eat (which sometimes is a major problem in this house!)

My 3 are going through a stage where they love eating everything off a stick!! Maybe I should just cut some vegetables up and skewer them onto a stick! (well I can only try I guess). Miss 9 and Miss 4 will eat most meats but Mr 6 who will actually try most things, but is LAZY when it comes to meat. He just wants the food to just slide down the back of his throat. If he has to chew it more than a couple of times he gives up! He is getting better but it sure has taken it's time.

I'm sure you have all had shish kebabs at some stage, well these chicken ones that I have made are so easy. I have used the thigh of the chicken as I find it has more flavour but you can use the breast if you wish.
I have also just used a mallet to flatten them out a little, then sliced strips so I can then thread them onto the sticks. Make sure you soak your sticks in some water for a couple of hours if you are cooking them on a BBQ, this will stop the sticks from burning.



Once you have cut all your thighs up, just thread them onto the skewers and add your favourite jar of marinade (yes from a jar!!) or if you have a marinade you like and use why not use it. I have just used a teriyaki marinade that I bought.


Leave it marinate in the fridge for a few hours so the flavour soaks into the chicken. My little people LOVE these and it's one meal the whole 3 will eat.


If you wanted to make some beef ones you could add some onion, slices of capsicum, mushrooms and cherry tomato's and even on the chicken ones you could also add some pineapple. Just remember not to cut your meat too thick as it will take longer to cook.

With our shish kebabs we had some home made coleslaw that I made, but I will confess the dressing was from a bottle this time. (Yes B I do cheat some times) The amount I made will roughly be enough for 5 people and some left-overs for your sandwich the next day!


This is what my mother taught me
1/4 of a sugar loaf cabbage very finely shredded
1 carrot grated
1/2 red or green capsicum sliced very thinly - I used red as the colour looks fantastic
3 shallots sliced very finely
3 stalks of celery sliced finely
1/2 red onion - optional as it does have the shallots


Just toss everything into a bowl and coleslaw is completed. Now you can make your own dressing or you can just use some store bought dressing. If I was serving this coleslaw at a BBQ with friends I would dress the whole bowl but just for a meal at home with the family I let everyone dress their own once it's on their plate as any left overs of the salad will stay nice a crisp and last alot longer than if it was covered in dressing.


We also had a baked potato on the side. I hope all you beginners out there found some helpful hints on this very EASY mid-week dinner.

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment