Tuesday 12 April 2011

Chocolate pecan pie - Donna Hay

So it's time for another chocolate fix. I know I need one (well the thighs don't!) and if you like pecan pie (as Mr B does) this one brings you the best of both worlds. The soft centre of the chocolate is almost like a gooey brownie with the crunch of the pastry and the roasted pecans on top. Very nice indeed.....for me it could have had even more of a chocolate flavour as I think with the combination of the pecans and the golden syrup it kind of took over the chocolate flavour but I certainly wasn't complaining.

It certainly fulfilled the 'special' criteria and it looked the part and was very easy to make actually, this one will impress your friends. I can hear you all now, asking "Do I have to make my own pastry?" Yes you do!! I have been over the pastry making in earlier posts so I won't bore you even more (Ok B I can see you yawning from here!) but I just can't stress enough, the less you handle your pastry the better.

This one is another Donna recipe. I had just bought the latest issue of her magazine - the one with the yummy jam doughnuts on the front. I came to page 148 and had to make this chocolate pecan pie! Well it was Mr M's birthday after all so I didn't really need to make up an excuse and I was totally over cake as Master M had his birthday the day before.


Chocolate pecan pie - Donna Hay magazine issue 56 Apr/May page 148
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
125g butter, chopped
1/2 cup (80g) icing (confectioner's) sugar
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon iced water
1 eggwhite, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (90g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup
40g butter, extra, melted
3 eggs
1/4 cup (60ml) single (pouring) cream
125g pecans
100 grams of chocolate, melted


Place the flour, butter and icing sugar in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. While the motor is running (I actually added the eggs first then pulsed it) add the egg yolks and vanilla. Add the water and process until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring together. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 160 degrees (325 F). Roll pastry out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 3mm thick. Line a lightly greased 11cm x 34cm loose-bottomed tart tin with the pastry, trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Brush with eggwhite and place on a baking tray.


 Place the sugar, golden syrup, butter, chocolate, eggs and cream in a bowl and whisk to combine.


Pour into the pastry shell and top with pecans. Bake for 30 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool.
Serves 4-6.
Mine was probably in the oven an extra 10 minutes as I checked it after the 30 and it was still wobbly in the centre.


Hope I have convinced you to give this one a go!!


Enjoy M x

6 comments:

  1. You have certainly convinced me! Yum :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to give this recipe a try but i can't for the life of me see where it says how much chocolate to add?
    Does anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mistake Anon - so sorry! Thanks for pointing this out. 100 grams of chocolate - need to melt this. Cheers, B x

      Delete
  3. Just made this recipe very easy and tastes.delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon - it is a Donna Hay favourite of mine too! B x

      Delete
  4. Made this for Easter and it was so simple and so delish!
    thanks for a great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete